Monday, September 23, 2013

HealthIER Cheesy Potatoes aka Funeral Potatoes

Notice how I highlighted the IER? I mean, you can't really make healthy funeral potatoes, so I went for healthIER. How did I make it healthIER? The original recipe called for 1 cup of sour cream. I chose to use 1 cup of fat free plain greek yogurt. Before you turn up your nose, and think that changing the sour cream is not that big of a deal, let me break down the calorie count for you. 1 cup of sour cream has nearly 500 calories. 1 cup of fat free plain greek yogurt has about 125 calories. Just by that simple switch (I PROMISE you will not be able to tell the difference. I have made this for my husband both ways and he has no clue which one is which), you are saving almost 400 calories throughout the entire dish. Now I know you are not going to eat an entire 9x13 pan (well actually you might because it is simply that good), but even if you can save 50-100 calories, isn't that worth it? That is 9 minutes of running, 20 minutes of walking, or 24 minutes of pilates. Worth it? DEFINITELY!

Anyways, I have had this so many different ways. With onions, without onions, with shredded potatoes, with chunky potatoes, etc... Essentially, most of the ingredients remain the same. The main difference is in the ratio! And this ratio, could not be more perfect. It is such a simple dish with ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen/fridge right now.

Even though some people refer to this dish as funeral potatoes, they are not just for funerals. In fact, sometimes we even have them for Easter or Christmas (unless of course we are having Potato Dauphinoise or Potatoes Romanoff, both are family favorites). Obviously if we are making this for the holidays, you know it has to be good!

I got this recipe from Jamie Cooks it Up and obviously changed up the sour cream part. I also chose to boil my own potatoes rather than use previously froze ones.

Ingredients
5-6 fist size potatoes, pealed, and cut into fingernail size pieces
1 cup fat free plain greek yogurt
2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese plus more for topping
4 Tbsp butter, melted, divided
2 (10 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups corn flakes, crushed (or Panko, bread crumbs, crushed Ritz, etc...)

Directions
1. Boil the potatoes until al dente.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Combine potatoes, greek yogurt, 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, 2 Tbsp melted butter, and cream of chicken soup. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Top with corn flakes and the remaining 2 Tbsp melted butter.
5. Place in a 9x13 pan and bake for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest